RE: Foglights & Euro Bumpers

I have a set of Hellas (think they're 530s? - not sure) that I recently
installed on the 84 Wolfsburg.  Although I would have liked to put them on
the underside of the bumper for practical reasons, I found two holes on
the front dam, underneath the rad that just looked so like factory fog
light holes.  They were the right diameter, and each were in the centre of
a small rectangular indent.

The drawback to this location is that the mounting points are very close
together, but as the fogs have a very wide dispersal pattern, it doesn't
seem to matter that much.  They are also very low, only 12" above the
ground with my tall winter rubber.  I had to realign them only a few days
after putting them on after having slammed into a packed snow drift at
40mph - but at least they didn't get smashed to bits.

I wired them through a relay back to a factory fog switch in the dash.  I
used a circuit that grounds the relay via the switch, to avoid running
extra powered leads behind the dash. Ground is carried to the fog relay
(located in a weatherproof box on the RH side of the rad with the high
beam relay) through the RH lowbeam circuit, which I patched into behind
the fuse panel.  My low beam relays, which are located in a weatherproof
box on the LH side of the rad, are powered by the LH lowbeam circuit,
which is an acceptable (for me) single point of failure in my dual-relayed
low beam setup.

Of course, I will have to make sure this car dies with me, as if anyone
else had to troubleshoot the headlight wiring they'd probably go mad.

Drew (84 Wolfsburg)

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Don Walter wrote:

> What kind of fog lights are you using?  How are you wiring them and
> where are you putting the switch?
>
> Don

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca