[engine] Oil in 16V distributor

With the car running crappy, I went to do some
electrical connection maintenance and remedy, part of
which was to pop off the distributor cap and look for
carbon tracks, etc.  (16V).

I found oil.

Not a huge amount, but enough to reckon that after
143,000 miles, there was probably a seal going bad in
there somewhere.

ETKA does not show a seal for the distributor...so
what's the bad news?  Please don't tell me I'll need a
new one.  How long do these things last after the seal
begins to go south?

BTW, NAPA wants nearly $60 for Stabilant 22A.  BS on
that.  I bought a spray can of electrical cleaner and
a tube of dielectric grease, and with a dental pick
and points file, went to town, cleaning every engine
electrical connection including the KE-Jet black box
connections.  WOW, what a difference.  Maybe it was
removing the oil from the distributor, maybe not, but
man what a difference.  Starts better, idles smoother,
much better when cold, and no more intermittent lack
of pep.

TIA as always,

=====
Ron
'87 16V (Victor, the Famous Cheap Scirocco - ausgezeichnet!  unglaublich!)
'93 Cab (Teufelhasen, soon for sale)
many, many, miles and busted knuckles on seven more past watercooleds...