RE: Scirocco running 12-13 sce 1/4 mile

I definitely don't know much about the different kits sold through time, but
I have studied turbo design a little, and AFAIK a wastegate DOES vent to the
atmosphere, and that's a good thing. But some of them blow exhaust directly
into the atmosphere from the turbo (i.e. into the engine compartment), while
most route it into the exhaust *after* the turbo (like the Impreza, you
friggin' lucky Brit!) to ensure all exhaust goes through the emissions
equipment. Is this what you mean by "internally"? As far as no wastegate, it
is entirely possible that the BAE kits didn't have one at all, as I know a
number of (especially older) turbo designs had no wastegate, and just relied
on low boost pressure to keep from destroying the engine. There are some
turbos out now that don't require wastegates, using variable turbine blade
pitch to control their speed.

Now, a blow-off/pop-off valve...that's on the *intake* side of the turbo,
and a completely different device.

Neal
'88 Scirocco 16v
'99 Impreza 2.5RS (dreaming of a P1...)