Re: Scirocco running 12-13 sce 1/4 mile

In a message dated 2/19/01 8:22:36 PM Pacific Standard Time,
sixteen.volt@gte.net writes:

Mike,
Would you please elaborate? I'm not saying I don't believe you because I
really don't know. I have been keeping tabs on these turbo discussions for
a possible future project, but I don't generally take "They're a relatively
poor design" as a reason not to consider a product. Please share your
wisdom!

At least the ones I have seen all had no wastegate. They regulated boost by
blowing off the excess into the atmosphere. Seems like a waste when you
consider that's making everything work harder. It is next to impossible to
get parts for them as well. As far as I know, none of them were intercooled
either. And you get all these issues for a mere $1000? It just seems like the
money could be much better spent on a more sophisticated system. The BAE kits
are 20 or so years old, and not much of any updates are available for them. I
guess mainly it's the whole wastegate thing that bothers me...but I beleive
it is a big stumbling block.

Mike
http://www.geocities.com/vwmikel - trust me, a replacement is on the way!
'84-Arkay Turbo Rabbit GTI
'84-Rabbit GTI - future DCI drag car
'77-Rabbit - project
'80-Scirocco S - (um... to be:1.9L crossflow, turbo, 6 speed, widebody?)