Re: upgrading to g-grind cam TECH INFO

Gonna share some cool info I found in a British VW mag over the weekend.
Actually picked up some awesome tech info:

Seems that one of the high quantity replacement parts items is hydraulic
lifters (tappets, as Brits call 'em).  Why?  Because normally when they
start to go bad people buy a new set, drop them in, and then 12-20k later
they crap out again.  The reason being that the valve guides have worn and
the play causes rapid, irregular wear of the new lifters.  This mag
suggested that IF your lifters have gone bad from regular wear (not for the
reasons of oil pressure problems), then it's best to do some significant
head rebuild work (specifically, replace the valve guides) so as to not
revisit the same problem again shortly.

I think it an interesting point and one I'll take into consideration.  I
know that w/ the 16v I just bought, the PO had had the exact thing happen
(190k on the clock).  SOOOOOOOO......

Replace the guides & seals whilst you are there.

> Or, you could do this while the head is on!!!  Just mod (some cases you
> won't have to) a compression gauge and pressurize the cylinders and pop
the
> springs off!  Just be careful not to drop them into the cylinder if the
seal
> breaks!!  I have done this before and didn't have any problems replacing
> springs and valve guide seals!  The only other thing you will need when
you
> install the cam (if you don't do anything else, you HAVE to do this!!) is
> the correct shims!!  Those shims will probably be in the 390+ area since
you
> will have a larger gap to compensate for with the G-grind cam!  HTH!!
>
> Dave
>

> > On Mon, 12 Feb 2001 23:05:49 EST WaspHwy@aol.com writes:
> > >hi, I am planning on upgrading the cam in my 84 gti to a g grind or
TT's