Re: Removing undercoating?

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001 16:26:38 -0800 (PST) Daun Yeagley <vwdaun@yahoo.com>
writes:
>Hey all,
>
>I need to remove some of that nasty factory undercoating
>from the floorpan of my truck so I can patch a couple
>holes.  Does anyone have any suggestions for the best way
>to remove this stuff?  Chemicals?  Heat?  Combination?
>
>TIA!

I just finished removing about 50 lbs of rubberized crap from the front
end of my 79 Scirocco using only a putty knife and sandblaster.
Scrape off the bug stuff, followed up with blasting. Its slow work but it
got the job done. I imagine you could just scrape off the big stuff like
I did. I don't know of any chemical means to remove rubber. if there is
such a beast, its got to be extremely hazardous. (Read- rubber gloves
wont protect you. ouch.)
GL!

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi 8V       84' Scirocco 8V           88' Corvette "SS"
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 30-   79' "Project FSP Scirocco"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco in all of San
Diego!