Sun Roof Adjustment

List,
  The sunroof on my '88 16v is very difficult to open and close.  After
looking at the manual, I think need to adjust the height.  While I was
trying to close it, I think I broke some things, so I will be replacing
some stuff too.  Does any one have any words of advice?  Have some one
else do it?  Turn it into a convertible?  Get a TT instead?
  Also what would be a good ideal to repace while I have the sun roof
apart?  And what type of damage do I need to look for?

Chris