Re: Scott- 5000 TB Question (long)

Dan,
     Here's what you have to do. Get a TB off an audi 5000. I think any
80's- early 90's model will work. Pretty sure I got mine off an 85. (I have
an extra one you can have for like $25. They charge around $30 from the
junkyard)

-get a can of carburator/parts cleaner and soak the new TB in it for a few
hours. (I already cleaned my extra TB if you end up taking it)

-take the linkage from your roc and switch it onto the audi TB. You have to
do this because the audi accelerator cable pulls from a different side. You
might have to adjust the full throttle switch to make sure it clicks at the
right time. You also have to switch the idle adjuster because the audi one
is just a screw and not a bolt so you won't have enough clearance to adjust
it. (You'll see what I mean)

-get a new TB gasket from the dealer and put it on the audi TB (it was like
$3.50) I put some auto sealant goo stuff on it before installation to make
sure there was a good seal.

-You'll have to match port your intake before installing the new TB. I
traced the opening on the audi TB, made a stencil, and traced the new hole
size onto the intake. To port it out I used a drill and a grinding stone
drill bit. It worked well but you should buy 2 bits because they get clogged
with the aluminum. You might not be able to grind away everything on the
small side of the intake because you risk making a leak if you try to cut it
too close.

-finish up with some heavy sandpaper, light sandpaper, steel wool, and then
polish if you have it

-install the new TB and adjust the accelerator cable and idle adjustment as
necessary.

I think the audi TB is a good, inexpensive mod for a rocco. It's given me a
little better throttle response and acceleration. It's definitely worth the
short amount of time that the job takes. Let me know if you have any other
questions and if you want my extra TB. Peace

Scott Richardson
'86 8V Scirocco