non-roc VW diesel question?

I just bought a 85 Jetta diesel turbo.  Anyone have any experience with
these.  Also I think I'm going to have to replace the head gasket. After it
gets warm it gets air pumped into the coolant forcing the coolant out of the
resevoir thru the seams.  When you watch the coolant stream in the resevoir
it pulses air when it gets to running at temprature.  Guy I bought it from
said it was a head gasket.  What kinda problems am I looking at on one of
these for a diesel?

Any help
Thanks
David
86 black rocc (running but looks like dawn of the dead)
87 red rocc (look n good 8-))