Re: Jacobs seat heater[Corrado Seats]

Canadian models (at least) were available with heated seats (option m340,
seat and backrest electrically heated.) The early 84 that I acquired last
year for parts (but is really to fine to part out) surprised me (shocked
me on my ass, actually) by having stock heated seats - a discovery that I
made when I "borrowed" the passenger's seat to put in my 84 Wolfsburg.

I figure I'm now 1/3 of the way towards retrofitting factory heated seats
to the Wolfsburg (AKA Carrots.)  Just one more seat and the wiring to
go... :)

The nice thing about the Scirocco implementation is that the relays are
located under the seats (although it may be bad from a salt/moisture
contamination perspective) and the wiring runs from the relay panel to the
driver's seat to the passenger's seat (with a run up to the rheostat,
which is located on the shifter console.)  Swapping out is very easy, and
only requires seat removal and lifting of the carpets at the split between
front and rear, and at the driver's door.  The A2 implementation, on the
other hand, has the relays in the relay plate, and the rheostat in the
dash, and so involves some in-dash wiring, which is hard to make look
factory without removing the dash...  For those of you who are ETKA
equipped, check out 9 63 237-10 (seats, heated) and 9 71 250-10 (harness
for heated seats.)

The only drag is that a previous owner of the charcoal-grey early 84
Scirocco removed the rheostat (possibly because a malfunction somewhere
was causing hot-but syndrome?) so I have to source one of these from
somewhere (or adapt an A2 one.)

I figure I'll get the project done sometime around June - which should be
when the frost is starting to come out of the ground... :) :)

Drew (84 Wolfsburg.. actually a Wolfsburg Edition II, sales campaign S706)

On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Mawster Chadwick wrote:

> I don't think the CDN ones came with bum-warmers.  IF however, you can get
> some Corrado Seats, they may have the heaters installed (My Corrado has
> them -- don't get any ideas hehe)
>
> ---Listees----
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Corrado Seats are "plug 'n play" with the
> Scirocco???
>

> Chadwick

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca