From: owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org
[mailto:owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of Aaron Ness
Sent: Monday, February 05, 2001 1:21 PM
To: 'scirocco'
Subject: Bad ignition switch?

I have an occasional problem starting my car.  Sometimes when I turn the key
to "on" the O2 and alternator lights come on, but when I turn to start, they
go out.  When this happens, my engine won't start until I release the key to
stop cranking.  Then, if there's enough inertia, it will start.  If it
doesn't start, the lights come back on when the key returns to the "on"
position.  My brother-in-law has a similar problem with his '83, although
his is very frequent.

Is this an ignition switch becoming flaky?

Aaron
'82 Scirocco
'70 Beetle
'87 Jeep Cherokee 4.0