RE: Bad ignition switch?

<snip Aaron>
Is this an ignition switch becoming flaky?
<end snip>

The on again/off again nature of the problem points to an electrical issue.
It could be the switch.  You can test for a bad ignition switch with a
multimeter.  There are continuity checks in the Bentley.  I just went
through them, but don't remember them off the top of my head.  They're
pretty simple.  I'd also check your grounds.  From what I've seen on this
list over the years, grounding issues seem to solve all electrical problems
about 50% of the time.

- Brad
'86.5 Volkswagen Scirocco 16v
'76 International Scout II