strange instrument cluster problem

Every now and then in my Jetta, when the parking lights are on (and the
headlights, for that matter) my instrument cluster will go completely
dead.  No tach, clock, lights...  nothing will work, except the high beam
light will do the opposite of what the high beams are doing (it will
light when they are off, turn off when they are on).  When I turn all of
the lights off, the cluster comes back on normally.  I have this problem
sproadically, although this is the first time it's done it since the
summer.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
B.

'82 Scirocco (a.k.a. "Fritz")