[tech] noise diagnosis

Okay my '86 8V has been making front end noises since I bought it, and
though I suspect the wheel bearings and outer CVs need fixing, I'd like to
see what others think.

The first noise is an annoying "gurgling" noise that happens around 30-50
mph, typically when I'm coasting or slowing down gradually. It comes from
the right front wheel area. I can't tell if it gets worse on a turn since
I don't generally make tight turns at that speed... It almost sounds like
something is resonating, but I don't think that's it. The noise is loud
enough to hear, but hard to pinpoint.

The second noise happens when I turn, right or left. It's a
"tick-tick-tick" noise, coming from the outside wheel of the turn. I'm
pretty sure this is the outside CV (I'm thinking of just replacing the
whole drive shaft, including the inner and outer CVs, and be done with
it).

How can one tell if the wheel hub needs replacing? I've had that first
noise for as long as I've owned the car (over a year) and it could have
been happening for a long time, for all I know. It doesn't sound like the
noise a failed wheel bearing would make, based on what I've read, so I'm
hoping the hub is in okay condition. I suppose I could just replace the
hubs and be sure; they aren't too expensive.

Thanks!

Oliver Seiler -- Software Developer, Pivotal Software, http://www.pivotal.com
            Scirocco MkII Diary - http://osroc.weblogs.com