Re: Tire options for 16" wheels...

At 10:04 PM -0800 2/2/01, Benjamin Harder wrote:
>Hey all,
>  I am finally looking into a new set of rims...probably going to go with
>a 16x7.5 rim, but I need some feedback on what tires would be the best.
>I have considered the Nitto NT450, the Yokohama A520, and the Kumho 712's.
>Anyone run these tires and like to share their opinions?
>  Next debate is tire size...since the rim is 7.5" wide, I am thinking about
>either a 205/40/16 or 215/40/16... anyone using 215's on their rocco?
>I am definitely concerned about rubbing issues...

My vote goes to the A520, in the 215/40/16 size - I've been running them
for about 2 years now, and I must have about 50,000km on them.  Not toooo
much hard driving, but I've got about 1/3 tread depth remaining
nonetheless.  For a tire in its price range, they grip extremely well in
the dry, channel water reasonably well in the rain, are dead quiet when
pushed hard, and IME wear very well indeed.  The only problem I've had with
one of these tires, and this is probably the only problem I've ever heard
of, is a sudden blowout on I90 or I80 just west of Minneapolis.  Much to
this tire's credit, the car continued to track dead straight at about
150kph.  I would have continued driving but for the blue smoke filling my
rearview mirror.... (BTW the blowout was caused by a nail).