Re: clutch recommend for 4K

skerocdriver@juno.com writes:

That's one of those "a zillion people who race them, build them or know
how to tear them up" data points. The HP number given to me is at the
crank.

Naturally it depends on how the clutch is used/abused. A bone stock
clutch That's holding 180hp the hard way will wear out pretty fast. Might
take a glazing easily too if its abused. (Which, most people who are new
to the power of 180hp typically do to a new clutch.) Ive seen clutch
disks explode with 60hp so sometimes it just depends on the clutch.

Yeah..Josh, from Matrix insists that a stock clutch...or some sort of
variation he uses, can hold 240hp. I have a problems beleiving this one, but
I don't know the whole story either. I know clutches have exploded under much
less strenuous conditions.

Application:
For powerful 8V and 16V cars the hot setup is a 16V pressure plate with a
stock Sachs 8v disc. (obviously a 16V disc for a 16V.) If one is fearful
that the clutch disc might come apart, Velocity has a 6 spring unit that,
im told, is very strong.

My understanding is that the super set has the 16v plate... I should look for
some part numbers to verify this.

The sport clutch units are very ( I invented a new word!---> ) unstreet
friendly, very stiff to use and ive been told by some users which have
shared with me, don't last very long. (Exactly -->WHY, is one of my
questions.)

I used a Kennedy 6 puck (which is unsprung) with 16v pressure plate last
time, and it lasted me a while. The problem is that the surface is metallic
which eats through the flywheel and pressure plate faster than it does the
disk. In terms of being streetable, I would say it wasn't THAT bad. I was
still able to drive it, stop and go... although it was not the most fun thing
to do.

Also consider that the 190mm clutch setup is good enough to hold 130+hp
for hard autox use, then the 210mm has got to be good enough for 180hp.
:)

I hope so....If that is the case, then this clutch should hold for at least
10-12 psi.

Mike
http://www.geocities.com/vwmikel - trust me, a replacement is on the way!
'84-Arkay Turbo Rabbit GTI
'84-Rabbit GTI - future DCI drag car
'77-Rabbit - project
'80-Scirocco S - (um... to be:1.9L crossflow, turbo, 6 speed, widebody?)