Re: NO2 horror story

In a message dated 2/1/01 12:35:22 PM Pacific Standard Time,
sroth@alscarchitects.com writes:

Justin,
I have a NO2 story.  a guy in our local car club has a early rabbit with
a 2.0L 16V and NO2.  One day he decided to show off.  At a green light
he gave the car a shot from the bottle, and zoomed down the block at
near light speed.  As the next light turned red, he slammed on the
brakes, stalling the car.  Somehow the NO2 kept flowing even though the
engine had stopped.  When he went to re-start the car, the intake tract
was full of NO2 gas.  On cranking, a spark plug ignited the gas, and
KABOOM!  The plastic intake pipe was disintegrated, the injectors were
blown out of the motor, the airflow sensor plate was all wrinkled up,
and the airbox in pieces, the hood (not securely attached) flew up into
the air and came crashing back down on the car, pieces of the grille
were blown out into the intersection.

All-in-all it was a good show.

HAHA....That's a good story! All the more reason NOT to use nitrous =) Did
everyone see the pictures from that maxima where the guy left the bottle
warmer on and it blew up the whole car and garage?

Mike
http://www.geocities.com/vwmikel - trust me, a replacement is on the way!
'84-Arkay Turbo Rabbit GTI
'84-Rabbit GTI - future DCI drag car
'77-Rabbit - project
'80-Scirocco S - (um... to be:1.9L crossflow, turbo, 6 speed, widebody?)