Re: brake upgrades

On Thu, 1 Feb 2001, Andy Teague wrote:

> ok, everyone, my little 84 8v is starting to get fast enough that it would
> probably be a good idea to upgrade the brakes.  I thought about 1st swapping
> the drums for 16v rear disc setup (partially because drums are a pain in the
> a$$ to begin with)  But my friend who drives a 16v (and also seems to be
> wrong more often than he is right) seems to think that that wouldn't do too
> much, and that I should put 16v discs in the front. (If I'm gonna do that,
> tho, I figure I might as well put g60 front brakes on).

Recommendations:(cheap to expensive)

Stainless steel braided brake lines. (protect them as a previous lister
reminided us)

if that doesnt do the trick upgrade brake fluid.

Larger front disks (or more pistons per caliper though I dont think this
is avail for cars).

Rear disks small (prevents rear wheel lock-up)

I have to pipe up here in regards to physics and experience on my
motorcyle that really shows where the stopping power is. in a hard ie
panic brake mode 90-100% of all stopping power is transferred to the front
wheel i.e. the back wheel comes off the ground or it is sliding (basically
very little friction). In a car this shouldnt be as severe. say in a 50-50
weight dist car. in heavy braking (straight line forward motion) about
65-75%(guess) of the weight will be transferred to the front wheels. and
25-35% on th rear wheels. all bets are off in a corner cause the weight
distribution gets strange like (50 - 20 - 15 - 5) once again this is a
guess based on my knowledge of physics and my many miles of driving.