Re: Stretch bolts vs. studs...

>I'm going to be taking the head off of my '87 16v for
>some headwork.  Are there any strong opinions either
>way as to using studs for reinstallation of the head
>vs. the vw stretch bolts?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Russ

Back when I did my motor, I looked at the numbers and asked around.  The
stock stretch bolts are good to something like 180,000psi, while the ARP studs
were good for like 225,000psi and required a retorque after a short while.  The
studs are the way to go if (IMO) if you've got forced induction, don't mind
the retorque, and could possibly have the head off again in short order.  Oh,
the price difference between the stock bolts and the studs is also
significant if
I remember right.   I've got just about 180hp and much of it is being held
together with stock equipment for about 10,000 pretty exciting miles
I guess by now.

Oh, and I'm also using stock valve springs. :)  And I did just read
tonight an old
VW&P rag where it was mentioned that high tension springs promote valve train
wear and actually cost a horsepower or two.  No kidding. :)

==Brett

\/\/ '88 Scirocco 16v (Show), '92 Passat 16v (Winter+) | - brett@netacc.net