dash light replacement

I sent this earlier, but since it was the first thing I sent after getting
my "new" computer up and no one reponded, it may not have been successfully
sent:

Has anyone replaced the light bulb that is in the faceplate (FP) for the
heater/vent/AC on a MkII?
I've been driving this car for two years, not knowing that the FP is
supposed to illuminate!  Pulling the FP is easy, but the bulb in integral
with it and apparently cannot be replaced.  This means the whole FP must be
replaced when the bulb goes away and I'll bet it's $50+ at the stealership.
Anyone successfully replaced a bulb in this thing?   If I don't hear of some
proven method soon, I'll have to start cutting and glueing!!!

TIA.

Larry  sandiego16V