Fuel delivery diagnosis

Today my '87 1.8L 16V started stumbling and bucking. Along with this was an
erratic sound from the pump. So thinking, "I've heard that before", I
stopped by the import flaps and picked up a new Bosch pump (ouch!). I'd been
driving with the fuel gauge in the red for a while so I stopped and topped
up with the best there was (92 octane). Lo and behold the stumbling stopped,
the bucking disappeared and the noise from the pump became more regular.
I've been feeding 91 octane plus so that is a constant here. The point of
all this is to ask if I'd be wrong with the assumption that my problem is
with the transfer pump and not the pressure pump. I know that a weak
transfer pump will hasten the demise of the pressure pump but if I can put
my spare transfer pump in and do the pressure pump at a later date that
would be great.

Rick Alexander
http://www.brubakerbox.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/hams/