Re: Engine running poorly

On Wed, 19 Dec 2001 20:55:46 -0500 Kervin Ridgley
<kervinridgley@earthlink.net> writes:

>and guess what?  It barely runs.  I got it to idle well a about 500
>rpm.  Sounds good.  The problem comes up in driving.  There is almost
>no power it will not get above 4500 rpm in any gear.

Why is it that people discover a poor running condition and they think
that DRIVING it will clear it up? I get this fron customers all the time
and it just baffles me. I mean, come on. Its running like shit for a
reason. Solve it first before driving because I can promise you, it WONT
ever get better. Really. :).

>It seems like wants
>to develop power but when the throttle linkage gets to the point when
>the enrichment switch comes on the power just drops off.
>I moved the o2 sensor to the downpipe.  I have one in the exhaust
>manifold, but it is not being used.  Could it run this poorly because
>I might be a tooth off on the cam?  I could just switch back to the
other
>cam, but I don't think the cam is the problem.  I'm not going to have
>much time to do anything to it until Sunday :(  I was hoping to have a
>little more go, but I just have a scirocco that can't out run a stock
>51 beetle at the moment.

Id say your ignition timming in conjunction with the cam timming are
likely to be the root of your problems. Even if you disconnect the o2
sensor, it would run. Recheck the cam timming and go from there.
GL!

Shawn Méze
86' Jetta GLi 8V     84' Scirocco 8V    88' Corvette -SS 30- 2001 SDR
Solo2 Champion
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 54-     79' "Project FSP Scirocco"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco(s) in all of
San Diego!