Engine running poorly

Bad day for my 86.  I set today aside to put on my 4-2, dual down pipe,
cat back system, ported intake manifold, big throttle and g-grind cam.
I get the old intake manifold off, and a friend stops by to see if I can
help him with his brakes.  He has gigantic audi tt rotors and boxster
calipers on a MK3 vr6 gti.  They are so big that only 17's fit over them
but he needs to put winter tires on so he needed help switching back to
stock stuff.  Anyway, what happened was he kept asking questions that
got me side tracked.  I didn't get to start my car until after sunset
and guess what?  It barely runs.  I got it to idle well a about 500
rpm.  Sounds good.  The problem comes up in driving.  There is almost no
power it will not get above 4500 rpm in any gear.  It seems like wants
to develop power but when the throttle linkage gets to the point when
the enrichment switch comes on the power just drops off.
I moved the o2 sensor to the downpipe.  I have one in the exhaust
manifold, but it is not being used.  Could it run this poorly because I
might be a tooth off on the cam?  I could just switch back to the other
cam, but I don't think the cam is the problem.  I'm not going to have
much time to do anything to it until Sunday :(  I was hoping to have a
little more go, but I just have a scirocco that can't out run a stock 51
beetle at the moment.

--
Kervin
82 1.7 8v The gift