Re: That eBay guy just doesn't learn....

On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, Jerry Carter wrote:

> legally, yes, you can sell the game to your friend. but he doesn't have the
> right to use it. when you buy a peice of software, the bulk of the cost you
> are spending is for the right to use it. if you were to give the friend a
But...

The way the laws are written now, with things like records, cd's books
etc. you DO have the right to resell that Intellectual property to a
friend. Microsoft et. al. has tried to modify that with their
"shrinkwrap" licensing, but that license has never been tested in court
past what is allowed with books etc.  So, IMHO (an I am not a lawyer) you
can safely treat a piece of software as if it were a book, record or cd
and use those same laws to govern your actions, until m$ proves their
shrinkwrap license to be valid.

Kind of like when you park your car they say everywhere "not responsible
for damage" those signs are worth their weight in gold, because 99.9% of
people believe them, but they have no legal basis or standing in court.

take care,

Steve