fuel problems

hey all,

I've got an '81 and it's having issues with the fuel system, I think. I can
get it to start when cold, and it will run half decently 'till the temp
gauge gets to where it should be. if I'm not at at least 2000 rpm at that
point, it starts running on 2 cyl. if it drops below 1000 I'm only firing
once. I've bought 3 new fuel pumps for this car, and 2 of them so far have
self destructed (one catching on fire all by it'self) but now I've just put
in the bosch unit so I don't think that the problem is there. I've tried to
get into the tank from undr the back seat and all I have access to is the
connector for the fuel gauge, which sits on a  plate that I cannot remove
without destroying the tank (or so it seems). up front I've replaced the
stock airbox/cis system with one out of a rabbit, '82 I think. the fuel
distributor was cleaned before the install. oh yeah, when it does die when
warm I've re-started it (serious PITA) and I can hear that the cold start
injector is not being used. the odd thing is though that it runs great if I
keep it at 3000, if I accelerate, it goes to 3cyl, if I decelerate it goes
to 2cyl.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can offer

Jerry Carter
'81 Mk1 Scirocco