"whooshing" brake pedal

Hello all, I've got a question...

I replaced the front pads and rotors on my Jetta.  I noticed on the test
drive the brake pedal felt spongier than normal (I know they feel weird
until the pads seat, but this seemed a bit worse) and there was an air
whoosing sound when I pressed the brake pedal.

Thinking that maybe I managed to get some bubble somewhere, I bled the
brakes.  When bleeding them, the brake pedal often did not return fully
right away.  It seemed to get snagged for a moment, and then would pop
back.  I drove teh car around the parking lot a few times, and it felt
better.  (well, not entirely.  There's a popping coming from up front,
too.  But I think I just didn't get the mounting surface for the rotor
clean.  it's happened before, and I only mention if in the event it might
actually mean somthing.)

Any ideas?

Thanks,
B.