VDO Speedometers

I thought they were all the same.  I have the instrument cluster from an 88
in my car and the speedometer is making some noise (I guess they all
do).  I bought a low-mileage VDO speedometer (just the speedo) off eBay and
thought I'd swap.  The attach points for the electrical foil on the back
are different.  My existing speedo is black plastic on the back and the one
I bought is white.  OH, well.  At least I'm only out a few bucks.

The rest of the project was replacing the speedometer cable(s)/O2 sensor
counter with a one piece cable and changing out the tranny oil.  The
gaskets on the end of the cable that goes into the transmission absolutely
disintegrated.  The bolt that holds it in still had the torque seal stuff
on it so its never been apart.  The oil (Redline, according to the PO)
looked like mud.  Anyway, all is fresh and new with 2 quarts of MTL.  The
transmission has almost 250K on it and I believe its never been
apart.  Works great, too.

John
87 16v
El Paso del Norte