Re: [TECH] Engine Cleaning

I agree with Shawn.  Crud, if it accumulates, acccumulates in the pan,
so cleaning the underside of the engine is not very effective and could
be damaging.  If you do pull the pan, concentrate on cleaning it, and
not the engine internals.

If you're just worried about moisture, a simple oil change will take
care of that.

Ron
--- Shawn C Meze <skerocdriver@juno.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Dec 2001 19:23:32 -0500 "Jason F. Snow"
> <jason_f_snow@nac.net>
> writes:
> >I want to take the oil pan gasket off of my 2.0 16v and spray the
> crap
> >out of the bottom end of the engine with carb cleaner. Let it drip
> on
> >some newspaper, let it dry, replace the oil pan and filler up.
> >
> >Is this a bad thing? I want to make sure there isn't any moisture in
> >there because it had rained on the engine while ago (the tarp blew
> >off).
> >I want to get any excess water and crap out of the bottom end before
>
> >it
> >is started.
> >
> >Any thoughts?
> >
> >Thanks,
>

> Thats alot of extra work for nothing.
> As long as you have fresh oil in the motor, crank it right up. Any
> and
> all moisture will evaporate when you get it nice and warm. Carb
> cleaner
> is for carbs. :)
>
> Just start it, drive it a little and check the dipstick. if it looks
> like
> cream in your coffee, drain and fill with new oil and a filter. Save
> yourself the hassle. Thats my best professional medical opinion.

=====
Cheapass Ron
"Victor" '87 16V Scirocco
"Teufelhasen" '93 Cabby <-For sale

If it ain't foggy, TURN OFF YOUR FOG LIGHTS.