RE: finding idle

Unsure hoe related the Fi on the 78 is to the MKII FI system, but mine did
something like yours, idled at high >1400RPM, died and hard to restart
<1400RPM.

I ended taking the fuel assembly off and cleaned/polished the plunger which
has some scrapes on the side and was "sticking" perhaps your having a
similar problem?

Here is the direct link of what IO am talking about. the system might be
different but perhaps closely related that you could check it out.

http://12.237.164.220/scirocco/Technotes/plunger/index.html

When the car tried to die I found the FI to be "noisy" (as in additional
vibration from unit) that is what made me look into it...

It has been running smoothly ever since.

Hope it may help you out.

ATS - Patrick Bureau
85 8v prowler orange Rocco
Web Site working Use: