Re: rear transmission studs stripped

In a message dated 12/12/2001 10:37:30 AM Eastern Standard Time,
dswalter.wi@netzero.net writes:

<<Okay with all the extra HP my rear transmission studs stripped loose.
These
are the studs that come out of the underbody/frame and have two 10mm nuts
that hold the mount to the car.  Has anyone fixed or replaced these?>>

Ahhh,  I remember this bitch all too well.  Had the same problem as you.  But
luckily only one of mine was stripped, the forward one, which is easy to do.
Make that easier, because it was still a bitch.

Remove the bracket and saw off the stud, see these studs are welded in so its
the only way to do it.  Then begin drilling it out, and keep drilling and
drill some more, it took me close to an hour and a half to drill it out.
That stud uses mad hard metal.  Keep the drill centered so the new bolt you
drop in will be in the exact spot the stud was.  A fellow lister said next
time to use oil on the drill bit it will make it easier so you might want to
try that.   Once its drilled you will see that you can come in from above and
drop a new one in there.

Now if the rear one is stripped too, its a whole different ball game because
you have to find it inside the passenger cabin under the center console and
the dashboard somewhere in there.  Luckily my rear one wasn't stripped
because I would have been fucked, I wasn't about to take apart the whole
console and shit.  Good luck and hope this helps

Brian 86 16v
98 Jetta GLX Vr6