Re: Dangers in running too cool?

I think this might be the case with mine as well, wrong or bad H2O temp
sender.
Craig and I have talked about the fact that my tt motor appears to be
running too cold (barely comes out of the top of the box when hot).
I have left the car idling and even when the rad fan kicks on the temp is
only a little out of the top of the box.
On the freeway with cold air going through the radiator, it will drop down
to the bottom of the box tho'.
I recently replaced the sandwich plate/thermostat oil cooler with the Euro
GTI setup with a new thermostat and it runs a little hotter now but not
much. (Oil temp changed from average of 180* before to 190* now...oil temp
is still too cold IMO.)
I am planning on replacing ALL the senders on the engine as soon as I score
employment and also installing a REAL H2O temp gauge.
This is something you might consider as well Rich considering what that
engine package would cost to repair/replace.

HTH

Randy
81 Scirocco S - tt 1847cc 8V w/~105whp

> Another possibility is that the temp sender is wrong for that car.  The
> Audi temp sender could put out different signal levels than the scirocco
> one....something to check...
>
> Eric
>

> On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, Allyn wrote:
>
> > Rich,
> > Along with brians suggestions are premature catalytic converter/o2
sensor
> > failure (unburnt fuel/oil is not sufficiently burned off since normal
> > temperature is never reached).
> > I wouldnt go jinxing yourself trying to get that thing to run hotter,
heh.
> > This is rather crude, but use the fan switch as a guide: run the car at
idle
> > until the fan kicks on, it has to happen eventually, the engine cant
> > possibly cool itself off that well on its own. Once the fan has cycled a
few
> > times, check the meter (cluster temp gauge). If its still way low, you
have
> > a bad connection somewhere.
> > Al
> >
> > Allyn Malventano, ETC(SS), USN
> > 87 Rieger GTO Scirocco 16v (daily driver, 170k, rocco #6)
> > 87 Jetta 8v Wolfsburg 2dr (daily driver, 260k, 0 rattles, original
clutch,
> > driveshafts, wheels :)

15.114