Re: 16v's, motronic swaps & reliability

>well,
>
>Not to jinx the deal, but i am tentatively picking up my scirocco next
>weekend... & i also found a passat 3b 16v donor hehe.
>
>I was going to go ABF turbo, but after finding this I think i will just
>make my 16v all motor and build my abf turbo motor for a later project...

I'm getting ~180hp out of my all motor with this setup.  Motronic is
not a cure all though.  As Scott W. pointed out a little while ago, it's
still pretty old technology...but it's the 'best' CIS ever got to be. :)

>On the motronic swap idea, I am buying the 3b with the harness later
>today, do you guys think its really a good idea?

See the Motronic swap tech procedure on scirocco.org.  As stated, I
wouldn't do it first, but consider it as one of the more final things
you're going to do to squeeze that last little bit out of the motor.

>I could go programmable, BUT am thinking of moving from missouri in the
>next year or two, and putting in the passat motronic & engine is legal
>even in Kalifornia (just have to get certified as an engine swap
>vehicle...) is it really a better idea than keeping the notoriously
>untuneable Jetronic, if done right will I gain reliability AND power?

I've have to answer yes to the last question, from my personal experience.
Somewhere on the order of 5-10% depending on the rpm range and cam profile.

>I'll probably build my abf turbo without a car to put it in & down the
>line find a chassis for it...
>
>take care,
>
>Steve
>
>P.S. why have some messages been showing up duplicate and about 2 weeks
>late on the list? that wide german tire thread died a week ago and I got 2
>of the same messages today...????

I believe it has something to do with the exim mail handler...ah, someday
we'll move the list server, ah, someday...for now, it's an issue we deal
with.

>p.p.s. can anyone photocopy the relevnt parts of the passat manual for me,
>i'd hate to buy it just for wiring diagrams. (i have a jetta manual is its
>motronic section good enough for the swap? it covers digi 16v's in that
>application i think.)

I bought the Jetta manual just to do this swap, as my motronic harness
came from a Jetta.  You'll frustrate yourself unecessarily without
getting the Bentley.  Shop ebay, I think I picked up the Jetta manual
for like $25, and $25 is totally lost in the noise of a Motronic conversion
done right...as it costs about 65% (w/o dyno time) of what getting and
setting up a fully programmable system costs.  Might even be closer...

==Brett

\/\/ '88 Scirocco 16v (Show), '92 Passat 16v (Winter+) | - brett@netacc.net