Re: Need some help! Stuck suspension bolts...

On Fri, 07 Dec 2001 19:22:30 -0500 "John C. Worden"
<scirocco@powerlink.net> writes:

> I agree with using an impact gun, but you are disassembling them
> while they are still in the car?

No, I take the whole assembly off, compress the spring, spin the nut off,
remove the spring, clamp my ViseGrip chain tool on the retainer, with the
strut in a big vise, I remove the retainer.

> I loosen the nut a bit, remove the strut
> assembly from the car, compress it and then take it apart.  I still
don't
> think it would be safe to take the thing apart still attached to the
car.

> John

You can actually take them apart on the car.

With the wheel on the ground, remove the 22mm strut nut, and then jack
the car up, separating the strut assembly, then un-bolt the strut, remove
from the car, replace the cartridge.

The tricky part is getting it back together, reverse of removal...

Peter - <http://thescirocco.com> - http://tttuning.com/ , Peloquin LSD,
http://quaifeamerica.com/ , http://www.magnecor.com/ -
Bear, DE 19701
'79 Scirocco 16V 25 049
'83 GTI 37 505
'84.5 Scirocco 42 133
'84 GTI 63 348  - SciRollers: '79 70 900, '84 Black, '88 Red -
http://feedbyte.com