Re: voltage dropping... dropping...

Scott Williams wrote:

> This car of mine is a real pain in the ass. According to my voltmeter, it
> has been charging consistently at around 13V (seems sorta low) for the last
> week. However, it dropped to 12V yesterday morning. Last night and this
> morning it is pegged at 10V. Hopefully, I'll be able to drive it home this
> evening. :^(
>
> Tech specifics: The alternator is newly rebuilt and the belts are tight. The
> battery is mounted in the trunk with the ground cable run to the rear bumper
> bolts. Hmmm... could this be a problem with the voltage regulator?
> ______________________________
> Scott F. Williams

Well, since the run is long, voltage drop is a question. What size gauge
cable you using?

In the mean time I would clamp a jumper cable from the NEG. battery post
to some good clean metal in the back and be sure the CASE of the Alt has
a good connection to the frame up front.

Sounds like the voltage reg. in the Alt isn't up to snuff, that it might
have been strained and is going out.

10v will get you home (without using the lights) but during the day you
should undo the battery from one post, and hopefully recharge it a bit
(trickle, not fast).

hth,
TBerk