RE: My Scirocco is essentially trashed.

WOW, that sounds EXACTLY like Austin!

I have lived in LA, SF, Austin and Houston, and of all those places
Austin has the most infuriating drivers! The city is completely
filled with what I like to call passive/aggressive drivers. These are
the kind of drivers who are the first to slam on their brakes the
second they see someone else's brake lights, or a puddle, or a wreck,
or a cop, but also like to cut you off and tailgate any chance they
get. What drives me crazy is that most of the drivers on the road
here will never go above the speed limit, UNLESS someone is trying to
pass them, and then they will exactly go as fast as is necessary to
keep from being passed! The worst part is that these people have no
practice driving fast, so they instantly become a huge risk to
everyone around them, all in the name of not letting anyone in front
of them. The greatest thing about Austin drivers is that they seem to
think that left turn lanes and shoulders exist to let them pass other
cars. I can't count how many times I have seen people come cruising
down the shoulder at 50mph for a mile or so, just so they can cut in
front of traffic at the first opening. I once even saw an amazing
accident as two people drove down the left turn lane for four blocks
at full speed, only to slam head on into each other! I can only guess
that they both thought the other would "back down" and pull out of
the turn lane. What I found most amazing was that there were no skid
marks! Neither of them slammed on their brakes even as they slammed
into each other.

The goal is to overcome the deliberate nature of the process.