Re: My Scirocco is essentially trashed.

On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, Zack LeGrow wrote:

> cop and said he'd been there for about a minute and I just plowed
> into him. I'm only 20 years old and he was 56. THe cop mostly
> believed him. So now I have no car, and one hell of a bad ticket. I
> may be able ot get it down to a 3 demerit following too close, BUT I
> WASN;T,

What is it about sciroccos that a) nobody ever sees them even if they are
bright red and b) the police always think its your fault (cuz they are
sporty looking?)

My 87 16v was "totaled" when I was driving in the left lane, another lady
in a saturn was in the right lane, and a semi pulled out and blocked both
lanes...

wet pavement & i had plenty of braking distance, but then the lady in the
saturn cut me off and my braking distance got cut in half! i had no way to
avoid hitting her... as the truck was pulling away his rear wheel scraped
my rim and my fender on the passenger side.

In the end my insurance company was some percentage responsible, and the
truck drivers insurance was some percentage responsible for the saturn
damage and my front end damage, his wheel hitting my fender was a separate
accident and I was paid 100% for that.

So, anyway, that taught me to treat all other drivers on the road like
they are out to get me, and if the situation happened again, i'd assume
that the saturn lady was gonna cut me off and brake earlier.

So, your situation sucks, but the moral is:

Police are biased against sciroccos, people wont see you, and its a given
they are morons, so drive defensively :) as even if its not your fault the
man will pin it on the guy in the sportscar :(

my condolences, but on the bright side I fixed my "totaled" scirocco
myself, and it is running and driving still (they total roccos because
they quote like $800 for a used hood and crack like that, not becasue of
any unfixable damage...)

take care,

Steve