A/C PS Removal - Alternator mount trouble

Now before eveyone gets on the "we've covered this!" bandwagon, let me just
share my experience.
This is a  "..if I can do it then it really must be easy..."  case.  I just
bought a 90A alternator, used, foolishly assuming it would fit my 16v
Scirocco engine.  Well the lower mounting point for this alt was the type
that is intended to go in between 2 holes in the bracket.  While I had the
standard bracket that I think every 16V w/ A/C and P/S has. It is intended
to accept an alt with 2 "ears" as it has its own 2-3" center mount.  We all
know this 10 lb beast.  Anyway  there was no way it would fit on there.
    Heeelllllloooo..., wait just a minute, the 5 or 6 parts on the pulley
side of this alt had a longer shaft, or to be more presice, the pulley
itself is extended about 1".  All the other plates, wierd bent washer and 6
sided thick washer were the same.  5 minutes later I had the longer pulley
on my old alt and now the 3 remaining pulleys on the engine (after the PS
and AC removal) line up.  Not exact but dang near.  One of the belts that
came off the car when A/C and PS was still on just barley fits with the alt
adjuster bar upside down and all the way out with about 1mm to spare.  Had
to remove it to get the belt over all 3. This is the longer of the 2 stock
one I think.
    Curious note though, most of the sandwiched parts/washers on there have
a notch as does the alt shaft for what must be a, cant think of the name,
little half moon shaped thing that locks them to the shaft....anyway it
didnt have one.  I guess just compression and the fact that one of the
washers was warped and gives I guess a spring type pressure on everything.
  Anyway, just one of those "you'll see what I mean when you do it" things
that I finally see what all (some) of those tech procedures mean.

Questions:     Was that latest alt from an 8v?  Or from a car w/o AC?  and
why no little shear pin type thing on the shaft?

Thanks for your patience.  Just wanted to share.

Ken
1979 Scirocco  "McFly"
16v conversion - Engine in, now the hard part
Electrical  : (
Vortex "Indiana Red"
VORTEX:  "Indiana Red"