Re: G-grind installation (stupid question)

Drew,
My opinion is that anytime you remove the timing belt you should check the
timing with a timing light just it to be sure.
It is very easy to re-instal the timimg belt 1 tooth off, believe me I've
done it.
If you haven't replaced a cam before I'd recommend you read up on it
(Bentley) or ask how to do it.
E-mail me off-list if you don't have a Bentley and need some pointers
You should also check the valve clearances before firing her up as well.
When replacing a cam with a new one (new or used)  it is a wise idea.
According to Bentley the 8V they should be:

Cold engine:
Intake: 0.15-0.25 mm or .006-.010 in.
Exhaust: 0.35-0.45 mm or .014-.018 in.

Hot engine: (if you've already fired her up)
Intake: 0.20-0.30 mm or .008-.012 in.
Exhaust .040-0.50 mm or .016-.020 in.

According to a previous post Victor F recommended:
"if I remember this correctly- that the engine revs easier if you go as
loose as possible (within spec) on the exhaust side, and tight as possible
on the intake side.  That is, have the biggest gap possible (within spec) on
the exhaust side, and smallest gap possible on intake side."
This was also verified by Mr. Meze IIRC.
When I set mine up (new motor and new G-cam) I just put it right square in
the middle of the recommended specs, works so far.

HTH

Randy