need help: fuel tank vents/breathers/etc...

Car is a 1977 Scirocco.

I got a re-man tank from Peter (thanks!), and there are some minor
differences in some of the little breather lines on the tank.

In addition to the "usual" five orifices on the tank (fill, pump, return,
large vent line, and gravity vent line), the old tank has three small lines
that all go to some contraption that fits behind the filler neck in the
right rear fender well. This contraption is in NONE of my manuals (Bentley,
Chiltons, and Haynes), so I have no idea what the heck it is. The gravity
vent valve also has three nipples on it...one of which goes to this mystery
device. In addition to all that, the fuel accumulator also has a 3rd line
coming out the back which runs to the gravity vent valve.

The new tank more closely matches the diagram in my Haynes manual, but the
diagram also shows a charcoal filter and an expansion tank that I do not
have (engine was removed before I got the car), and the gravity vent valve
shows only two nipples: one going to the fuel tank and one to the expansion
tank.

1) Does anybody know what the mystery contraption is?

2) Do I need the charcoal filter and expansion tank? If not, what should I
do about the gravity vent valve? One of the two lines on the valve in the
diagram goes to the expansion tank.

Thanks in advance!
Neal