Re: UPDATE: Can someone explain why 5th gear pops out?

Jay,
Well considering I just put Redline in the Scirocco's gearbox, it is fresh
in my memory.
(Yes I used MTL, not ATF............I did however fill the Jetta's
powersteering with ATF to slow down the leaking :D   )

According to Bentley R/S/J 80-84, sect. 1 pg. 11 (5.3 Checking and Changing
Hypoid Oil)

"The hypoid oil level in both the manual transmission and the final drive of
the automatic transmission should be kept at the lower edge of the filler
hole in the side of the transmission case or the final drive housing. The
level is correct if hypoid oil just barely drips from the hole with the plug
removed. The level may be considered satisfactory if you can feel the oil
with your fingertip just below the edge of the filler hole. Hypoid oil is
added, if necessary, through the filler hole"

HTH,

Randy