UPDATE: Can someone explain why 5th gear pops out?

Thanks to everyone who responded so quickly. The transmission indeed
needed fluid. Luckily what was left in the transmission wasn't burnt
up. Oil was still clear and not stinky black. I bought some trans fluid
this morning and added it. I didn't think of filling it through the
speedo cable hole, but that is a good idea...

Filling heavy weight through the side of a transmission while on your
back quickly grew tiresome, so I ended up using some clear 1/4 in.
tubing, shoving one end in the transmission hole, the other end on the
spout of the oil bottle. I then cut an 'X' in the bottom of the bottle
(you know, like the hole for a straw on a soft drink lid) and used my
blow gun/air compressor to pressurize the bottle and force the oil into
the trans. I initially had visions of the bottle blowing up and being
covered in gear oil, but the power of my laziness/impatience easily
overcame that. Worked like a charm.

So there's yer update.

chrisg