Re: [TECH] upgrade to rear disks question

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Chris DeLong wrote:

> No an A2 instrument cluster will not bolt into a MKII.

Ok, did I miss something here?  I came into this thread late (thought it
was about pedal clusters) but the above statement caught my eye.

You CAN bolt an A2 instrument cluster into a MKII Scirocco - they're a
direct swap as far as mounting is concerned, and up until VW switched to a
single wiring harness connector for the IC (about 90) they're a direct
swap as far as wiring goes.

I dropped an 89 Turbo Diesel Jetta instrument cluster into my 84 Wolfsburg
Ed Turbo Diesel conversion and the only modification I had to make was to
re-route the tach circuit (the tach signal comes from the W
terminal on the alternator on a diesel) and the glow plug indicator
circuit (which doubles over the 02 indicator circuit, an unused (but
installed) circuit in my 84.  Both of these changes were made at the fuse
panel/relay plate - the cluster harnesses are stock.

> No you cannot bolt an A2 pedal assy into an A1

Now that I have no problems believing... :)

> Chris DeLong
> ICQ#45030867
> Seattle, WA USA
> '80 16V 'Rocco ragtop
> '91 GLi 2.0 16V
> '77 Rabbit 16V
> '80 'Vert (parting out!)
> '61 17 Window type II
> '91 Vanagon
> '78 Rabbit
> '78 Rabbit (for sale)
> '87 GTi 16V

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca