RE: Help with beat up old '82 daily driver

Clutch is not too terribly hard - just keep in mind that you need to pull
the left drive shaft off to make the tranny come out easily.  Haynes and
even Bentley don't tell you to do it, but it's easy to pull and well worth
the extra 10 minutes.

Also, you don't need an engine hoist or even a fancy fixture - just a 2x4
and some rope.  If you care about your paint, cut the board to length and
drop it between the fenders, and if it's not a big issue, put a couple of
old T-shirts down and lay the board across them on the tops of the fenders.
No dents and no scratches on my '82 and my brother's '85 GTI(x2), but I
wouldn't guarantee it.

Wrap the rope through the lifting point on the left (FIF) side of the
engine, and the whole thing is supported well enough that you can get the
tranny in and out, and if you do it right, the rope will allow you to raise
or lower the engine a little bit.

Or you can always go out and buy an engine hoist - I did that about a month
after I swapped the clutch in my '82.

On the vibration, try rotating your tires F-R.  See what happens.  Do you
know all four wheels are properly balanced?  Could one of them have lost a
weight or become bent sometime?

Good luck, and have fun.

Aaron
'87 528e