Help Please: Distributor 16V

Didn't pay attention and removed the old one without setting to TDC.
Now I have the new one on and the timing is off so badly the engine won't
start.

Tried setting to TDC .. only, someone painted a mark on the opposite side of
the large groove .. so I don't know which one is which. Tried matching up
the marks in the transmission opening .. no luck with that either.

I have no timing light .. plus the engine doesn't even run so now what? How
do I get it close to running without these tools and having to remove the
intake boot another million times to adjust the dist? It's one the right way
.. the hall sender plug on the left side, the plugs in the right positions.

TIA for any suggestions
Tobias - missing out on Dubwar cuz of this  :(