Re: Diesel Oil Filter?

I've been following this thread with some interest - seeings how I've been
a longtime user of VW diesel filters - on VW diesels!

I presonally don't believe that it's appropriate (or necessary) to use the
diesel filter in the gas environment.  It would be interesting to see the
detailed specs on each filter (element size etc. etc.)

The one thing that I know about diesels is that they accumulate soot
particles in the oil, as a result of compression gases blowing by the
piston rings.   The greater the mileage (or hours) on the engine,
generally the greater the amount of soot accumulation in the oil.  Diesel
engine oils are specifically forumlated to retain (or control) this soot
in the oil, to prevent it from escaping into the environment or building
up on internal parts (these are the C group of oils - CD, CF, CH etc.)

Obviously the diesel oil filter is going to be contructed to allow this
soot to pass through (to a certain degree, depending on particulate size)
otherwise the filter would  very quickly clog up.

It may be that these particles are way too small for any filter, I don't
know - but I'm certainly not going to take a chance on the diesel filter
passing larger particles than the gas filter, so I just run gas filters in
my gas cars and diesel filters in my diesel cars, despite the fact that it
would be easier for me to just keep one filter on the shelf.

Drew (84 Wolfsburg Edition Turbo Diesel Scirocco)

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, David Hellekson wrote:

> Howdy Ron,
>
> I've been using the MANN Diesel filter for a bunch of
> years now. A bit of a tight fit on the 16v.
>
> Dave
>

> --- Cheapass Ron <rapieper@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > While at the FLAPS, I was scanning the oil filter
> > apps book (just a
> > sec...to preserve my dignity, I *do* know the
> > Purolator Pure One number
> > by heart, PL20252, I was stepping down to a Premium
> > Plus this once) and
> > saw a different filter for the diesels.
> >
> > Hmmm...gasket size the same, thread size bound to be
> > the same, bigger
> > diameter...more filter area, that's a good thing,
> > right?  Why not?
> >
> > Soooo...do they work on the gas engines?  Don't see
> > why not.
> > Interference issues?  Any harm in screwing one on?
> >
> > Thx,
> >
> > =====
> > Ron (Cheapass)
> > '87 16V, ("Victor"), '93 Cabby ("Teufelhasen")
> > ICQ 108845455
> >
> > Stupid is as stupid does.
> > -F. Gump

> > Make international calls for as low as $.04/minute
> > with Yahoo! Messenger
> > http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
> >
> > --
> > Email LIST problems to:
> > scirocco-l-probs@scirocco.org.

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca