Re: [OT] GPS

I'll copy the list in case anyone else was interested.  If you're not
interested, delete this e-mail now...

One of the most comprehensive web sites on the 'net pertaining to GPS is Joe
Mehaffey and Jack Yeazel's GPS Information website:
<http://joe.mehaffey.com/>.  They've got all kinds of general GPS
information, FAQs, and reviews for numerous products.  I'd recommend
spending some time at that site and do your research before spending any
money.  A decent guide to help you determine which unit is right for you can
be found here: <http://celia.mehaffey.com/dale/choosing.htm>.

> What brand of GPS system/unit/etc is the "best".

The top two brands that I'm aware of are Garmin and Magellan.  Rather than
saying one particular brand or model is "best", I'll leave that up to you.
Determine what kind of features you want, and pick the unit that is the
closest match.  (Besides, I'm a bit biased with regards to the brand...)

> Price inst much of an issue.

That will expand your field of options considerably.  The prices will range
from just over $100 to well over $1000.

> It would need to be used in cars, and on foot.

Sounds like you'll want a hand-held unit, and you'll want to buy the
appropriate hardware to mount it in your car.  Most hand-held units do have
quick-release mounts--some offer mounts that don't really bolt on to
anything, but stay put fairly well on your dash.  Just do your research and
you'll find a good fit for your application.

> It needs to be the most accurate gps system.

Since the U.S. government disableb Selective Availability last year (an
intentionally-introduced degree of error, which is turned up in times of war
and bypassed by U.S. military GPS units), every GPS receiver is fairly
accurate (within around 10m).  Many newer receivers make use of the
up-and-coming WAAS differential system for increased accuracy (often less
than 3m).  I'd recommend getting a unit that has a 12-channel receiver for
the fastest and most robust acquisition of satellites (older units have only
8 channels).

> also, any generic info you know about gps would be nice.

I use a GPS in my cars, and have come to rely on it a great deal.  The speed
reading is more accurate than the speedometer, and having a map of where I
am at all times is quite handy.  :)

If you have any more questions, feel free to e-mail me off-list.

Mike Carlson
'84 Scirocco Wolfsburg Edition (tranny-less since May 2nd)
'95 GTI VR6
http://members.home.net/mikes.vws