Re: bumper paint

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001 14:50:33 -0400 "Brad Sayer" <vwrocco85@hotmail.com>
writes:
> I know this has been discussed before, but what is the recomended
> method for restoring bumper covers (euro)?  There will be some
scratches to
> fill, and most importantly, black paint after.  I have heard SEM bumper
paint
> is good stuff.  Where can I find the stuff?  I doubt the local Autozone

> carries it.
> Any help would be great.
>
> Thanks,
> Brad

I just restored my Mk.1 euro bumpers...

I took them completely apart, blasted the brackets, and then POR'd them.

I replaced all the hardware with stainless hardware...

The front bumper had a gouge in it, with some plastic flared up on the
one edge of the scrape, the way plastic does when it gets cut.
I sliced off the flared plastic with a razor blade, cleaned it up, but
since I couldn't find my P-tex and I was getting impatient, I didn't fill
it.

I cleaned the plastic bumper skins really well, and then used Bulldog
Adhesion Promoter, which makes paint stick to pretty much any clean
surface.

After a test spray on my US bumpers, I decided to spray my bumper skins
with DupliColor Truck Bedliner Spray.
It is thicker than bumper paint, and will cover the original grain, as
well as minor scrapes.

My bumpers turned out great, the textured bedliner spray did s great job
covering the scrape, and they almost look like new.

Spray it under direct sunlight, with several thin coats...

Peter - http://thescirocco.com -Techtonics, Autotech Quaife USA, &
Peloquin Discount Dealer -  Bear, DE

'79 Scirocco 16V "Retro"
'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit"
'84.5 Scirocco "Oddball"
'84 GTI
SciRollers: '79 White Champagne Edition, '84 Black, '88 Red