Re: What starter to use with 11:1 compression?

Craig,

I had to replace the starter in my 16V conversion cuz it wasn't tunrning the
motor over.  I ended up using a turbo diesel starter and it works great. HTH

Sal

Quoting Craig Williams <roccolister@hotmail.com>:

> Hey guys,

Well my car is getting some attention in the shop right
> now, and I have a
question for you guys who are running high
> compression engines.

I'm having trouble getting the starter to turn
> the motor fast enough to get
it started. I'm running about 11:1
> compression, and believe it or not, I'm
still running my stock, 1981
> starter which came with the stock 1.7 liter
motor. Not surprising that
> it is having trouble.

For you guys running compression like this,
> what starters are you using?
Will a starter from a diesel motor fit?
> Since those motors are about 23:1
compression I figure that would be
> the best starter to run. Or should  I
just go get a 16V
> starter?

Anything you guys know about the usage of the diesel starter
> fitting and/or
working with a 2.0 liter gasoline motor will help me
> out.

Thanks! -- Craig Williams
1981 Scirocco S 2008cc 16V (As seen
> in 01-2001 Sport Compact Car)
1991 Passat Wagon 2.0 16V (For the Wife &
> baby)
2000 Saab Viggen (20 psi, Turbo charged monster)
Northern

--
Email LIST problems to: