Head Warped? Re:

Justin Tomlinson wrote:

> Okay, so my car died while my brother was driving it from Jacksonville, FL to Clearwater....it died about 15 minutes from Clearwater on the Courtney Cambell Causeway (a really bad place to break down)...we towed it to my mechanics....and the verdict came in today: he believes the head is warped...he hasn't looked yet at it, but he believes that's what is wrong from his experience... so i guess i need a new engine. I was wondering if anyone could maybe source a 2.0 16v...nearby hopefully...or another 1.8 even...i'm also open to any other suggestions...cos i'm gonna go through withdrawal soon, been 4 days since i've driven a scirocco...:/
>
> tia
> Justin
> 88 16v Scirocco (Neubautenwagen) ---- Dead

Head warp is not an engine killer. Pull the head, get it shaved by a pro
so it's flat on it's sealing surface again, clean and verify the block
with a straight edge and slap a new gasket w/ some new head bolts on the
puppy and your back on the road.

Of course once the head comes off you have a chance to port the
intake/exhaust to the head and replace valve guides, etc. Freshen it up,
don'tcha know.

hth,
TBerk