Re: Sensory overload - Monterey Bay Historics Races

Bastard.

:-)

Eric

On Sun, 19 Aug 2001, Randy B wrote:

> Hi all,
> If you like vintage motorsports read on.
>
> Went to the Monterey Bay Historic Races this weekend at Laguna Seca
> International Raceway.
> Bentley was the featured marque (every year there is a new featured marque.
> last year it was Auto Union, year before it was Porsche)
>
> Daaaamn it was cool !!!!!!!!!!!!
> Blower Bentleys (1930's), open wheel Alfa Romeo's, Birdcage Maserati's,
> Ferrari 250Lm's, Early Testa Rossa's, Ford GT-40's (MkII and MkIV), Porsche
> 917K/908/907/904, Chevron's, Lola's, Mercedes 300SLR (gullwing race car),
> Elva's (lotus/BMW/Porsche/Cosworth), Abarth Porsche, Porsche RS60/RSK/550
> spyder, ......ummmm....... Lister, Jaguar, Morgan, MG, Aston Martin, Kurtis,
> Allard.......soooo many other coooooool racing cars from the 30's to the
> 70's including old F1 cars like Ferrari, March, Lola, McLaren.......many
> more.......I am trying to do all this from memory so probably covering only
> a small portion of what was out there. (I think I saw them ALL)
> There was a 50's? Ferrari Testa Rossa that ended up in the wall......with
> both ends...DOh! What a beautiful car, now about 6" shorter front and rear.
> I almost broke out in tears when I saw it.
>
> Nearly all these cars (most priceless) competed on the track in different
> classes. Most were driven near or at the limit.
>
> Got to touch (fondle) the new Bentley GTP car (podium finish this year at
> ??).
>
> Spent nearly all day Saturday & Sunday in the paddock pokin' my head in
> every engine bay there, fondling the beautiful bodies (mostly the cars),
> asking 1000's of questions, smelling the wonderfull old Castor Oil fumes,
> hearing/feeling the heartpounding exhaust notes of raw power.......WOW!
>
> Saw Jay Leno (about 2 feet away, he said "how ya doin", I replied back "with
> cars like these around, I'm in heaven" he smiled)
> Saw from about 10ft away Carrol Shelby....yes!...THE Carrol Shelby. (he was
> driving a golf cart through the paddock, very old gentleman now)
> I think I saw Vic Edlebrock. Many, many other famous drivers and
> personalities I probably didn't recognize.
>
> Very sad to leave. :(
>
> Had to share,
>
> Randy
> 81 Scirocco S "Cosmos"
> 81 Scirocco S "Mars"
> The Beauty and The Beast projects
> Maybe someday they will be "Historical" too :)

Eric
Westminster, CO

76 Honda CB400F Super Sport
80 Scirocco (GF's Daily Driver)
81 Scirocco S (2.0 16v swap and complete restoration in progress)
84 Scirocco Automatic
88 Scirocco 16v (Parts car)
91 Cabriolet (2.0 8v swap and mechanical rebuild in progress)
00 Golf GL TDI (My Daily Driver)

-Kelli Fox